The facilities on Kokoda are very basic at best.
- Toilets on the Track and villages are known as ‘long drops’ and ‘short drops’.
- These are simple, deep pits or short pits that have been dug in the ground for use as toilets. There are no toilet seats. These facilities have a roof and screen over them for privacy.
- You do need to take your own toilet paper (2 rolls).
- The river is used for the shower and washing facilities or in some villages a simple water pipe is used to flow the water onto the trekker for washing. Washing of clothes is done in the river. We suggest you bring environmentally friendly soap.
- Antibacterial Hand Gel is essential.
- There are no specific changing rooms on the Kokoda Track or villages.